Tuesday, February 7, 2017

How to apply for Taiwan Visa Exemption [Filipino Citizens]

Taiwan has recently become a new destination for Filipino travelers due to the increase of flights from and to Taiwan from the Philippines from different airlines. Taiwan has its own charms and hidden gems that need to be explored.

UPDATE (July 28, 2018): Filipinos are  still  VISA FREE for another year till July 31, 2019.

Update as of  August 2018: If you have an expired visa or resident card of the mentioned countries Below and was expired less than 10 years from  intended travel to Taiwan then you are still eligible to apply for a ROC. More info here.

Filipinos traveling to Taiwan requires a visa. While applying for Taiwanese visa seems to be easy (though I haven't tried it yet), there is another way to get into Taiwan without securing a visa provided you are qualified and fall into some conditions. Taiwan recently announces the ROC Travel Authorization Certificate for some Southeast Asian citizens(Applicable to citizens of India, Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos) to enter Taiwan visa-free provided some conditions are met.

To be eligible for a ROC Travel Authorization Certificate, the following conditions must be met:
  1. The applicant’s passport must have a remaining validity of at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant must possess an onward/return air or ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.
In addition, the applicant must possess at least one of the following documents issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, any of the Schengen countries, the United Kingdom, or the United States:

  1. Valid resident or permanent resident card
  2. Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
  3. Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan
Please take note of this:
  1. Nationals of Indonesia who possess a valid Japan Visa Waiver Registration are eligible for a ROC Travel Authorization Certificate.
  2. The visas in the aforementioned list of required documents do not include work permits.
  3. Online applications can only be made by persons holding valid regular passports. Persons holding temporary, emergency, or informal passports, or travel documents other than a passport, cannot submit online applications.
  4. If any mistake is made during the online application process, the applicant may submit a new application.
  5. Once the application has been approved, the applicant is kindly requested to print out the ROC Travel Authorization Certificate. The applicant must present the certificate and the required documents for inspection when entering Taiwan. Entry will be denied if the required documents are not produced.
  6. An approved ROC Travel Authorization Certificate is valid for 90 days. Multiple entries within these 90 days are allowed. The holder of a ROC Travel Authorization Certificate may stay in Taiwan for 30 days, starting from the day after arrival. If the holder wishes to apply for another ROC Travel Authorization Certificate, he or she must do so seven days prior to the expiry of the current certificate.

I applied for the ROC Travel Authorization Certificate since I have a valid  US Visa and by looking at the requirements, I am also eligible and have met those conditions.

Online Application for R.O.C Travel Authorization Certificate

In the online application, all you need to do is fill up the form(basically your personal info like your passport info, your VISA that you will be using and etc.). After filling up, if your request is approved you can now print the certificate. 

Important Note: You need to keep this certificate in entering and leaving Taiwan, as the immigration officer will check this.

My R.O.C Travel Authorization Certificate
Have you tried applying for Taiwanese Travel Authorization Certificate? Share your stories and experience in the comment section below.  


  1. Hi Ekoy! Just have a quick question. What number in your US visa did you use? The one on the upper right hand corner (control number) or the red 8-digit number on the lower right hand side? Thank you

    1. Hi Chachers,

      I use the number on the upper right hand corner ( control number).

      Let me know if you have any other questions.


    2. Thanks, Ekoy! :)